1. Leaving the packing until the last minute as the old saying goes, failure to prepare is preparing to fail, and will likely lead to broken objects, damaged clothes and unnecessary headaches for all. NKA Removals recommend planning to get the packing finished so that you have a days rest in between the day you finish and the removal day. These things take time and you will run out of time if left too late!
2. Book your removals company as soon as you’ve got your moving date. If you don’t, you could well find everyone is booked up and there’s only so much you can fit into your hatchback (not to mention possibly scratching your interior! You could do it yourself and hire a van but while that may be the cheap way of doing it, it’s way more time-consuming than you think, and it’s hard work lugging box after box.
3. Choose your removals firm carefully to ensure they do a good job: ideally get a removals company recommendation from a friend, family member or colleague. Make sure they are members of the British Association of Removers (BAR). www.bar.co.uk
4. Back up all electronic files to a portable hard drive so that you can access it even via someone else’s computer if necessary.
5. Forgetting to label boxes means that your kitchen materials end up in your bedroom and vice versa. Label precisely and in detail. If your removal company is packing for you, good firms will label each box with the name of the room it is destined for, ensuring the boxes end up in the right place.
6. Work out measurements well in advance. Don’t end up with an item of furniture that doesn’t fit anywhere.
7. Don’t forget insurance. If you break something, it could be a costly mistake. If you are packing yourself, check your household insurance covers damage and breakages in transit. Removal companies will not be able to provide this level of cover unless they have done the packing themselves.
8. Try to get your new home cleaned a day or two prior to your arrival. This isn’t always possible if you are moving in just as the previous owners are moving out but if there is some leeway, it will make a huge difference.
9. Declutter before your move and ruthlessly discard things with no thought to sentimentality. It’s much easier then taking it with you.
10. Take valuables with you rather than packing them up for loading onto a van or lorry. First, you might need them quickly at the other end and secondly, you can relax knowing that your passports and jewellery are not stuffed into a large box, unreachable for days.
For more moving advice, contact http://www.nkaremovals.com. NKA Removals are a long established household removals and commercial removals company European Removals and Worldwide Shipping operating across the home counties. We can guarantee our customers an efficient removals service carried out by competent professionals, with a wealth of experience in all aspects of the removals business.